Thursday, March 30, 2006

Radio Sucks, and then, You Satellite!


As I approach my 27th anniversary in the broadcast industry(radio), as much as I hate to do it, it is time for me to vent and blow up the business that has been a major part of my life. However, today was such a positive day and experience, I feel compelled to restrain myself somewhat, for the time being. But, at a later date, between now and the end of May, I will unleash my true feelings about the corporate assholes and their puppet flunkies that have all but destroyed commercial radio as we knew it.

While going about my daily business today, March 30, 2006, I had the pleasure of meeting up with BBC Radio 1BBC - Radio 1 - Dancedj Fabio. As we spent the better of 2 hours together, 2 of the best spent hours I have had for a good while, we both realized just how screwed up the music industry is. And it all comes from the corporate pimp music companies, and, their whore radio companies. Especially in the godd ole USA. If you got hold of a satellite radio, or digital cable radio, or an internet radio station, YOU, would realize just how much GREAT music you are missing. For every artist you hear on "terrestrial radio", there are a bunch more that are 100 times better. I must admit though, BBC Radio 1 and a number of other Euro markets are much more aggressive and progressive with the variety and amount of music they play and promote. Kudos to the BBC!


Let me, at this time, give you an example of "corporate stupidity and dumbass". As you will notice, in the picture of the billboard for Tabu Night Club in Orlando, they have had shows within a week, for Crystal Method and Paul Oakenfold. Two of the biggest names in the electronica, techno, club/dance, sound track world. Though I don't have attendance numbers, both of these artist frequently sell out, or close to it, when they come to the Orlando area. Not surprisingly though, NONE of the IDIOT local radio companies/stations, play these artist. It's like they are saying, "we don't care about the people that follow and like them". "All we care about is the rap and hip hop heads". I don't suppose that it ever dawned on these "mental dorks" that their hip hop crowds spending power is nothing compared to the spending power of the Crystal Method type crowd.

But fret not corporate land based radio, because, pretty soon, you and all your greedy, don't know shit about music, minions, will be turned out to pasture. Unless, you can find an audience for non stop commercials. The same 5 or 6 played over and over and over.

Yeah, I know, "Bobby sure is burning his bridges". So what, I have a matter transporter. SCREW YOUR BRIDGES! Hey, the industry was good to me, I was good to it, and, I got what I wanted. I went out #1 on my terms. Can't beat that with a stick! YOU, should be so lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bobby, we sure miss your Saturday Night House Party! It was the best show on in Orlando. Old school and new techno/electronica mixed together with your personality, can't touch it. Come back!

Friend Connect