Monday, June 02, 2008

Bo Diddley Crosses Over


Rock 'n' Roll Icon Bo Diddley Dies at 79

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (June 2) - Bo Diddley, a founding father of rock 'n' roll whose distinctive "shave and a haircut, two bits" rhythm and innovative guitar effects inspired legions of musicians, died Monday after months of ill health. He was 79.

Diddley died of heart failure at his home in Archer, Fla., spokeswoman Susan Clary said. He had suffered a heart attack in August, three months after suffering a stroke while touring in Iowa. Doctors said the stroke affected his ability to speak, and he had returned to Florida to continue rehabilitation.

"One of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll has left the building he helped construct," the statement said.

For the rest of this story, some pictures and videos, go to Rock 'n' Roll Icon Bo Diddley Dies at 79 - AOL News

I have some history with Bo. I first became familiar with him when I would see him perform at the Apollo Theater in New York when I was a kid. Since I had family that managed the theater, I got access to backstage where I met Bo and hung out. He showed me his famous Bo Diddley "guitar lick". This inspired me to want to play guitar.

As life went on, our paths crossed again and again performing on stage together and doing shows together. The last couple of shows I remember doing with Bo were in the 80's and 90's in Florida and Pa.

One of the funniest memories I have of Bo, is the story he told me about his place in Florida and snakes. At his property in the Gainesville area, he was having alot of problems with snakes. So, Bo put an electric wire around his whole property 2 inches off the ground. Enough juice ran through the wire to shock and discourage any snakes. It was not set high enough to kill them though. Bo didn't play that snake stuff. I always thought that was a pretty cool way to keep snakes off your property.

Thank YOU for the great memories and music Bo! Peace be with YOU on your journey to the other side.

Bo Diddley Rocks,

1 comment:

Promotion Services LLC said...

Bo Diddley was a innovator! It's so cool that you had history with him. The generations that followed him owe him a debt of gratitude.

I'd love to interview you on my Music Biz Podcast. I'll call you from my new number. Old ones off.

J.

Friend Connect