Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Dragon, A Mage, My Book

Vermithrax


In conjunction with the "Harry Potter" post I put up a few days ago, I figured it would be a good time to throw in some connected stuff in the realm of wizardry, magic and one of my favorite topics, DRAGONS.

Let's start with "mage". There are differing, to some degree, definitions of "mage", however, they all pretty much come back to the same thing. A "mage" is a human magician, wizard, or sorcerer who is usually very powerful. Also:

Mages are people with vision. They can see a world that is different from the one they inhabit, and they believe this world to be absolutely real. The vision they have can be mathematical, scientific, philosophical, metaphysical, political, economic or any combination of the above. The point is they can envision a world, a paradigm, that those around them cannot. One of the key differences between Mages and the so called Hedge Wizards is the depth of the Mage's vision. While a Sorcerer may have a magical style and even a paradigm they don't have this vision of the world as something other than it is.

That should give you something to think on for awhile.

Dragons

The picture at the top of this post is from what many consider to be the best "dragon" movie ever. "Dragonslayer". The dragons name is Vermithrax. I thought this dragon was outstanding because of the way it flys. If fighter jets could do some of those maneuvers, it would be on. Regardless, unless someone proves otherwise, I still believe dragons existed. Maybe not exactly like Vermithrax, but, they still existed in some relative form.

My Book

Vermithrax is one of the inspirations that prompted me to want to write a book based on dragons. I started this back in 1999. I am about half way through book 1. Starting in about a week or so, I will periodically put up some excerpts from what I have written so far. Let me just say this, "it is NOT your typical "dragon" story. And NO, the dragon does not talk! reggae8@aol.com


No comments:

Friend Connect